Today marks the beginning of February and for a nation of people who likes to get a peek behind the curtain of what the future holds for us we are on the eve of the national biggest (and goofiest) attempt to forecast the future. Or at least the weather. For me, Ground Hog Day has always been a puzzle. In Minnesota (where I’ve spent all my winters) (so far) Spring is at least 10 weeks away no matter the weather tomorrow or the shadow-viewing experience of overgrown rodents or anything else. In Minnesota, the ground hogs, prairie dogs and most everything else is still firmly ensconced in hibernation mode. Mid April will still be cold and several more chances of snow falls, but by then it’s a pretty sure bet that it won’t really last forever.
Like it seems it will about now.
Here is a list of things for which I’m grateful, that I know will happen…because they happened this last week!
- I had a great time (and did a good job) singing a solo. I know it seems odd that a person who makes at least part of her living as a choral conductor would not be an accomplished soloist, but it is true. In the choirs in which I’ve participated I have not been the go-to voice since about 3rd or 4th grade. It hasn’t really bothered me one little bit because I have lots of other musical contributions I make that no one else can (conducting and playing the accordion for two.) (not at the same time, thank you.) (generally.) But I genuinely enjoyed the experience and think that I proclaimed the text well.
- We got a sneak preview of spring on Saturday.
- Going out to a dive bar Friday night to celebrate DJ’s 25th b-day. P&D drove and we were the old farts in the group and it was still fun.
- working from home on thursday AND friday
- A great 1:1 conversation on Friday with someone who wants to work to change the world
- getting to talk with SrK today, even if it was to wonder aloud together what the H the committee was thinking in not recommending ANYONE for the Director of VE position
- the final pieces of information arrived in the mail on Saturday so now I can file my taxes (and I’m expecting a refund that will be applied to the credit card balance)
It seems like a short list this wekk, and a lot of them seem like a bit of a stretch. But it’s the middle of winter, it has been a hard month both weather and work wise and I’m just grateful not to be on the bottom of the Chrysler and still able to mostly put one foot in front of the other.