A few of the many, many things for which I’m grateful this week:
- My Dear Sons #1 and #2. DS1 was born on Mother’s Day 18 years ago. (His b-day is the 12th for those keeping score.)
- My mom, who did the best she could with the hand she was dealt. She taught me independence and while that seems to be biting back a bit occasionally is a really useful thing. (Actually, Lisa’s mom sounds a bit like mine and she has a very articulate take on this whole thing in her Mother’s Day post. I encourage you to go and read her tribute to The Big R.)
- Being able to take care of G’s dog (rat in a dog suit) Snowy while he’s out of town visiting his mom. DS2 is a natural born animal lover and has made a new fast friend.
- Seeing Z & A on Fridn evening. Even though we didn’t go to see the new Star Trek movie, we had a fun time eating pizza, raging against the world and watching “Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn” And may I just say, again: Nice pecs, Ricardo.
- Going to LE’s Habitat for Humanity fundraiser and giggling through a really bad Elvis impersonator. There’s something about a retired lawyer in a white jump suit singing karaoke to Elvis songs in a church basement that is. just. wrong. We decided several things: A. The whole thing would have been better with an adult beverage or three… or maybe communion wine and B. I have now seen enough Elvis impersonations in the last 4-months to last the rest of my life. According to her, I am officially Off The Hook for any further Elvis invitations. And for that I am eternally grateful!!!
- Having JH — someone Sane and Competent — at Evil Corporate Job. Especially with the “sand bats of Manark IV”* hanging around.
- A really good 1:1 conversation with my boss, who seems to know, understand and acknowledge the difficult with working with the lead sand bat. Not only that, she seems willing (and able??) to address Teh Crazy head-on, relieving me of the obligation to do so.
- Lots of little reminders this week that I have another way I’m supposed to be using my gifts and earning my living. While it only frustrates and exhausts me to think that nothing is moving on that front because I’m not doing anything to move it along, my history is that this frustration stage is necessary before a big, quantum leap forward. So, it can’t be much longer, can it?
- I can still pay all my bills and have a job that appears to be secure for at least the next 3-6 months (about as far out as my crystal ball can see.)
- Getting to watch baseball games of both DS1 and DS2 this week.
- G. the whole incident on Monday where he made a priority to come downtown to pick me up and take me to DS1′s baseball game, all so that he could tell me face-to-face about a medical test he needs to have this Wednesday. Saying “I wanted to tell you face to face so you wouldn’t freak out.” and not making it be an accusation of a character flaw on my part.
As usual, there are a ton more things, but time available and human memory (not to mention good manners?) prevent me from listing everything.
*Sand bats is a reference from an episode of the original series called “The Empath”
– McCoy and Spock