Today it is our civic duty to make lists of things for which we are thankful. Aside from all the things I’ve counted here over the weeks (see my Sunday posts) today I’m grateful for a few other things too:
- For friends and a husband who understand and support me in avoiding the toxic birth family this year. I sent the boys off to my sisters without me and G. We’re hanging out, cleaning, cooking, smooching and watching football. If I’m not careful, this might become a tradition.
- For a job that allows me to buy food for a feast tomorrow with my boys, G’s boys and DIL. For a house where my family and I are protected from the weather (it’s 7 degrees out there this morning!)
- For the awareness that these “basics” are anything but foregone conclusions and that many people are going without these basics today.
- For the cognitive dissonance that is in me that causes me to want to change the system that makes it acceptable that so many people go without those basics.
- For friends and allies and co-conspirators in that work
My prayer and hope is that you are all able to enjoy (rather than endure) your gatherings, that you are warm and dry and filled and aware of the abundance that surrounds you. I pray for meaningful, living wage work for you, healing for what needs to be healed and joy even in the midst of strife.
How about you? Care to share one or two things for which you’re thankful in the comments?
Can you share a little with those you have less?